Category

Tips and Tricks

Category

Halloween is always a fun and popular time for kids and families to receive lots of chocolate and candy.

Photo: @lokistagram

Unfortunately, this is also a dangerous time for your dog. Chocolate and candy containing xylitol can be deadly for dogs if ingested and should absolutely be avoided. Typically, chocolate ingestion does not pose a deadly threat to your dog, but it can make your dog very sick. Why, you may ask? Chocolate includes a chemical known as theobromine, as well as caffeine.

As much as you try to keep your dog away from those Halloween treats, accidents can happen. Below are some tips for keeping your pup safe from the dangers of those oh-so-sweet human treats.

Photo: @emwng

1. Keep your pup separate from the festivities

Photo: @bordernerd

During the hours of trick-or-treating, it may be best to keep your pup tucked away in his own room or safely crated, so that they are separated from the festivities. Many dogs are not fans of the constant doorbell-ringing and knocking on doors anyway, so your pup may be more comfortable staying in the comfort of his own room.

2. Safely store your Halloween candy

Photo: @bezarchitekta.pl

Make sure you store your Halloween candy safely, whether it’s being given out or you’ve just come back home with a new collection. Dogs can sniff out anything delicious, so it’s important to use a dog-proof container, such as a screw-top jar. Store your Halloween candy in the upper cabinets of your kitchen where your pup cannot reach. If you’ve got a smart pup on your hands, try using kid proof safety locks on your kitchen cabinets.

3. If an accident happens, record notes immediately

If you call or take your dog to the Vet, the first thing they will ask is what your dog ate and how much. This can be a nerve-wracking time, so take a minute to write down exactly what your dog has ingested.

With candy, it can be hard to tell how much was exactly ingested, however, a good idea is to take note of how much is left. For instance, if your dog ate some of your M&M’s, write down if there’s a half bag left, ¾ of the bag left, etc. This will help give your veterinarian a good idea of how much could have been ingested.

4. Know the number to the ASPCA Poison Control

Photo: @yoda.thefrenchie
Photo Credit: ASPCA.org

Unfortunately, not all towns have a 24 hour Emergency Vet Clinic near them. Luckily, the ASPCA offers a poison control phone line that is operated 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. While they may charge a $65 consult fee, this is often less than what an emergency vet trip would cost and they can potentially help you over the phone. Save their number (888) 426-4435 to your phone or put it on your refrigerator so that it’s always handy and available.

The best advice we can give is prevention! We want holidays to be fun and safe for all family members.

Photo: @livlovesleo

If you have any tips or tricks to prevent your dog from raiding the candy cabinet, we would love to hear them. Leave a comment below or show us on social media. Tag us on Instagram and Facebook with #benebone so we don’t miss your post!

Feature image photo credit: House Beautiful